Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Conway, Arkansas

From Conway’s the Log Cabin Democrat of December 17, 2005
Dramatic shoot-out injures 2 policeman, intruder killed

A Conway man who shot two Faulkner County deputies was shot to death by a resident of the home he broke into early Friday morning.

Michael Tindoll, 27, of Conway, allegedly broke into 16 Havens Lane, the home of his ex-girlfriend, Melissa Weber, according to Lt. Jack Pike, spokesman for the Faulkner County Sheriff's Office. Tindoll allegedly started a fist fight with Weber's new boyfriend, John Sides Jr., Pike said. Sgt. Jason Bell and Deputy Wesley Martin responded to a 911 call about 1:24 a.m.

Tindoll left and drove to a house on Sunny Gap Road where he retrieved his shotgun, Pike said. The sheriff's office did not know who the residents of the home were or the nature of their relationship with Tindoll, however, Pike said the residents called Weber and warned her Tindoll was on his way back with a gun. Weber called the sheriff's office, and Bell and Martin responded, Pike said.

About 1:55 a.m., the officers spotted Tindoll and followed him to the home. They followed him into the home and commanded him several times to put down his weapon, but he did not comply, Pike said.

The deputies fired two less-lethal rounds that hit Tindoll in the torso, but he still did not drop the shotgun, Pike said. Instead, he allegedly fired one shotgun blast, hitting both deputies with pellets. Bell returned fire, hitting Tindoll in the side.

Tindoll turned and started down the hall toward Weber's bedroom. Sides, who was in the bedroom, fired one shot from his own gun, hitting Tindoll in the chest, Pike said.

Three small children, ages two to four years old, were in the home during the domestic disturbance. One slept the whole time, Pike said.

Conway Police officers arrived shortly after for backup and assisted in clearing the home and securing the scene, Pike said. MEMS transported the deputies to Conway Regional Medical Center. Martin was treated and released. Bell was taken into surgery about 6 a.m. to remove a couple of pellets. He is expected to fully recover, and his injuries were not life-threatening, Pike said.

"We applaud their bravery, and their quick action no doubt resulted in saving the residents of the home," he said.

The officers will be off duty pending an investigation into the shooting. Pike said the sheriff's office has no reason to believe there was a violation of policy or misconduct on behalf of the officers.

No charges will be filed against Sides for shooting an intruder in his home, Pike said.

No comments:

Post a Comment