Saturday, March 8, 2008

Rochester Resident Held Purse-Snatching Suspect at Gunpoint

Rochester, Massachusetts

From the February 27, 2008 New Bedford [Mass.] Standard Times:

ROCHESTER — Brad Correia had just returned to his home on Mattapoisett Road from a trip to the White Mountains with his wife and two children about 10:30 p.m. Sunday when they heard a knock at the front door.

Mr. Correia, 45, was tucking his 7-year-old son and 8-year-old daughter into bed. His wife went downstairs to see who was at the door and found a young man standing outside asking for help. Before opening the door, she summoned her husband.

"Before I went downstairs, I tucked my .45 into the back of my pants," Mr. Correia said.

Mr. Correia opened the door and Steven Grover, 18, of New Bedford, reported that his car had broken down on the interstate.

Since the family had just driven home from out of state, they had no way of knowing that a manhunt for three suspects in a purse-snatching was in progress.

"I could see that he was in pretty rough shape," Mr. Correia said of the unexpected visitor. "His clothes were soaked, he was bleeding and he'd lost one sneaker in the mud when he broke through the ice. I thought that if he were my son, I'd want someone to help him, so I let him in."

Mr. Correia permitted the fugitive to use the house phone while providing him with hot tea, dry clothes and hot water to soak his chilled feet.

"He made some calls, but he couldn't get anyone to come and get him," Mr. Correia said. "He wanted to call a cab, but he had no money, so I said I would pay."

By then, however, Mr. Correia had grown suspicious of his visitor because his story kept changing as it went along, he said.

"It just didn't add up, so I called 911 and asked them if they were looking for anyone."

Based on the description provided by the police, Mr. Correia realized that his guest was a wanted man.

"When it dawned on him that I was talking to the police, he jumped out of his chair. That's when I pulled my gun. I told him to sit back down, that the police were on their way, and he did."

"I've had my permit since I was 18, and that's the first time I've ever pointed a gun at another human being. I hope I never have to do it again. I tried to be a nice guy, but he had nothing to lose at that point. He knew he was going to jail."

No comments:

Post a Comment