Thursday, March 27, 2008

Ohio: 85-year-old opens fire on thugs

Milford Township, Ohio

From the Journal News of March 27, 2008
85-year-old opens fire on thugs

Raleigh Hensley's trip to "town" Tuesday ended with men taking his wallet with $5,500 and roughing him up, but the 85-year-old didn't give up his money without a fight and even shot at the fleeing car.

Butler County Sheriff's detectives announced today, March 27, they have the culprits, both of Hamilton, behind bars who allegedly robbed Hensley. They are Timothy Alfred, 44, of Millville Ave., charged with robbery and Mark Collins, 45, of Sunset Drive, charged with complicity to robbery.

Hensley, who has lived on Darrtown Road more than 50 years, said he went to Hamilton Tuesday afternoon, March 26, and stopped by a west side liquor store to purchase a "jug of wine."

"There were three or four guys around there," Hensley said. "They saw me pay with the money in my billfold. I tripped on the way out and one of them helped me up and asked if he could take me home."

Hensley laughed and told them he wasn't drinking and didn't need any help.

But the men apparently wanted to help themselves to his cash — all $5,500 of it.

"I didn't notice them following me home," Hensley said. "When I got out to get the mail, the red car sort of blocked me and they shoved me, trying to get my billfold. I told them, 'you ain't going to get it.'"

Eventually, the men were able to swipe the wallet and jumped back in the car speeding away toward McGonigle, Hensley said

"I got my gun and shot a couple times at the tires," Hensley said. He added he has been told him today he may have hit his mark. Butler County Detective Jason Rosser said a car believed to have been driven by the culprits has been located and is being processed. Hensley also tried to follow the getaway car, but lost them.

"I've never had any type of problem out here," Hensley said. "Still don't. They followed me home."

He added he usually does not carry thousands in cash, but had plans for the money they stole.

No comments:

Post a Comment