Wednesday, September 2, 2009

South Carolina: Fort Mill homeowner fires shot at intruder

Fort Mill, South Carolina

From WCNC of August 20, 2009
Fort Mill homeowner fires shot at intruder

One minute a Fort Mill father was watching cartoons with his 2-year-old son. The next minute he was aiming a pistol at an intruder.

It happened in the Avery Lake subdivision off Steele Street in Fort Mill just after 8 p.m. Wednesday.

"Even today I feel sick to my stomach," the victim told NewsChannel 36.

It was just a regular Wednesday night, the 24-year-old said, when he suddenly found himself defending his and his son's lives.

"I heard the glass shatter," he said.

The man asked not to be identified to protect his family's safety.

"When I heard the noise, I called 911," he said.

The noise was a burglar who had bashed in the back sliding glass door with a boulder from the yard. Police believe the intruder thought no one was home.

The homeowner -- a former police officer who left law enforcement for the ministry -- hid his son in a closet and grabbed his pistol.

"I yelled a warning at him to leave. He didn't do it. He came walking toward me and I shot at him," the victim described.

The man said in all his time on the force he never once had to shoot at a suspect.

"If I hadn't pulled the trigger I don't know what would have happened to myself and my son," he said.

The intruder got away. Fort Mill police traced his tracks to a nearby school. Investigators said they hope surveillance cameras there may have video that will help them make an arrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment