Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Barrow County, Georgia

From Atlanta’s 11Alive.com of September 4, 2007
Pit Bull Attack Victim Speaks Out

Friends and family are staying close by Kelly Edwards' side as he recovers from multiple bite wounds to his arms, legs and torso.

He said he vividly remembers the attack by three pit bulls as he went for his daily walk Monday.

“The small one came out and leaped for me and got me on my side, and I fell,” he recalled. “Then, when I was on the ground they were snapping at me and biting me. There was one place on my arm where the skin was laid open where one of them bit me."

He said he tried his best to fight the dogs off.

“I lost so much blood, I was just too weak,” he said.

As the dogs were attacking Edwards, one neighbor came up and fended them off with a walking stick, then another shot one of the dogs dead. Edwards said if David Banner hadn't stepped in, he might be dead.

“I owe him my life, I do,” he said.

“He’s our hero, said Edwards' daughter Kathy Westall.

The two surviving pit bulls are at the Barrow County Animal Shelter, but not for long.

“The two remaining dogs were surrendered by their owner and will be euthanized tomorrow, and then the remains will be analyzed for rabies,” said Barrow County Animal Control Director Stephen Eades.

Edwards and his daughters are now hoping he won't need rabies shots and that he'll soon be out of the hospital. They hope other dog owners learn from his ordeal.

“They need to restrain their dogs, dogs don't need to be running free,” he said. “It’s bad what happened but if it had been a child they child would not have made it."

No comments:

Post a Comment