Monday, February 12, 2007

Gates, New York

From Rochester’s 10NBC.com of February 12, 2007
A 72-year-old man catches his own crook

A 72-year-old Gates man took the law into his own hands when he captured a burglar in his home.

The suspect is identified as Eric Ray Mull. He's accused of breaking into a home on Buffalo Road around 10:30 Sunday night. Gates police say the homeowner, who has not been identified, heard a loud crash and grabbed his registered revolver.

The elderly man confronted Mull and ordered him to stop. When Mull refused, the homeowner fired his weapon, missing the suspect, then held him to the ground until police arrived to arrest him.
From Rochester’s RNews.com of February 12, 2007
Armed Resident Confronts Intruder

A Gates couple decided a number of years ago to have guns in their home. They believe without them last night, they wouldn't be alive today.

"My wife had just gone upstairs and I was lying on the couch and I heard this big crash," said Bill, the homeowner.
Bill realized the crash was someone breaking down the side door of his Buffalo Road home.

"He was screaming, ‘Someone's shooting at me, someone's shooting at me!’"

"I jumped up and grabbed the gun I always have where it's conveniently tucked away."

The 38 special is one of Bill's lawfully registered guns.

The man kept coming into the house.

"I was right here, and he was there,” said Bill, pointing in front of him. "I said ‘Stop or get down!’ and he kept coming at me and I fired the shot… he dropped to the floor."

The gunshot just missed Eric Ray Mull's head and hit the stairwell.

Meanwhile, the house was dark and Bill's wife was upstairs calling 911. She didn't know whether the shot fired came from her husband, or was aimed at her husband.

"It's very scary," said Bill. “If I would have aimed about three feet higher I would have caught her in the leg."

Since the gun was registered, no charges have been filed against Bill. No gun was found on mull (sic).

This is not the first time Mull had visited Bill's home. Mull came to the door last week asking for money to shovel the driveway. They told him to go away.

Gates police say Mull is a prior felon. He is now charged with burglary, criminal mischief and petit larceny. He remains in the Monroe County Jail on $50,000 cash bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment