Sunday, October 29, 2006

Orlando, Florida

From Orlando‘s WFTV.com of October 27, 2006
Elderly Orlando Man Stops Home Invasion

An elderly Orlando man was nearly the victim of a home invasion, but then took matters into his own hands.

Four teens reportedly rang the doorbell of 73-year-old Harold Murphy’s home on Signal Hill road, Thursday night. When they tried to break in, he was waiting.

“Having been in the military for 30-years and in situations where I was shot at, I’m no stranger to danger,” said Harold Murphy.

Murphy served in the Navy fifty years ago and has a concealed weapons permit. So when someone started knocking on his door, he got ready.

“I just picked up my gun and stood in the bathroom door so I could watch my front door, in case someone kicked it in,” said Harold Murphy.

A few seconds later, he saw a shadow in the back of his home. Then, someone tried to pry open the window.

“I pulled the drape back and pointed the gun at them,” said Harold Murphy.

The suspects took off. Orlando police looked for the four men, but couldn't find them.

Murphy says this is the second time he's confronted burglars. In 1983, another burglar came through his front door. Murphy was again waiting with a gun.

Murphy says it doesn't matter that he's in his 70's, if you are an intruder you better watch out.

“I won’t shoot them outside the house. If they come inside, that's my castle, not theirs,” said Harold Murphy.

Orlando police say the four suspects were all wearing dark clothing. They are described as four black teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment