Thursday, January 27, 2005

Modesto, California



From Sacramento’s KCRAChannel.com of January 27, 2005
Modesto Homeowner Shoots Suspected Burglar



Homeowner: 'He Chose To Lunge At Me ... I Had No Choice'



A Modesto homeowner who said he's been the victim of numerous burglaries in recent weeks shot a man who allegedly broke into his home Thursday morning.



Greg Collins' home is undergoing extensive remodeling. Collins said he slept in his garage overnight with a shotgun in an effort to protect his property.



At 5:25 a.m., Collins said he was awakened by the sounds of an intruder breaking in to the garage.



"Luckily, I found the shotgun, pointed it at him, told him to freeze ... He chose to lunge at me, so I had no choice at that point but to shoot him. I did use a 12-gauge shotgun so that I wouldn't kill the man," he said.



Collins said he has lost $7,000 worth of tools in the last three weeks. He said burglars have broken into home four times and into his garage twice.



"I could buy new tools, but we have family staying in this house from time to time and it's scary to think they could break in while my parents were here or when my daughter stops by with some friends," Collins said.



The alleged burglar was reported in critical condition at a Modesto hospital, but was expected to survive. His identity has not been released.



Police said Collins will likely not face any charges.


UPDATE (by Clayton): Also covered in the January 28, 2005 Modesto Bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment