Monday, August 9, 2004

Longview, Washington



From the Longview, Washington Daily News of July 15, 2004:
Before one of his former shoeshine boys attacked him with a screwdriver Wednesday, Longview barber Keith Chuinard thought the man was acting strangely.



Luther "Luke" Moore, 31, came by Vision City Barber Shop at 1311 Hudson St. shortly after noon and asked Chuinard, the owner and his former employer, to play chess.



"I thought nothing of it -- he came around to visit once in awhile," said Chuinard, 70, who said he taught Moore to play the game.



Chuinard noticed that Moore, whom he described as "smart" and "good at" chess, wasn't playing well.



He said Moore got up to use the bathroom twice. After returning the second time, Moore attacked Chuinard, who had his back turned, with Chuinard's own Philips screwdriver, Chuinard said. He said he was stabbed several times in the arm and back.



By 3:30 p.m., Chuinard, who was taken to St. John Medical Center and treated, was back at work. Moore was in custody after police tracked him down at a nearby apartment building.



"He attacked me, I think, with the intent to kill," Chuinard told a Daily News reporter later in the evening. "I didn't know he had punctured me. I grabbed his wrist and slammed him up against the wall. Then I tripped and I was on my back, and I kept kicking him, fighting him off. I got up, and I got a gun out of the drawer here" behind a barber's chair, he said.



Chuinard said Moore ran out of the shop when he saw the gun, a .38 caliber handgun.

No comments:

Post a Comment