From the October 9, 2009 South Carolina News-Times:
BEAUFORT — No charges will be filed against the Harkers Island man who fatally shot his son in his home recently.
The County Sheriff’s Department said Thursday that District Attorney Scott Thomas would not file charges against Cleveland Hackworth, 67, who shot and killed his son, Blake Hackworth, 45, in an incident at the family residence on Harkers Island on Sept. 27.
Mr. Thomas was unable to be reached for comment by presstime.
According to Capt. Jason Wank, based upon the facts and the law, Mr. Thomas reviewed the sheriff’s department’s case and concluded the incident was a justifiable homicide and that no criminal charges will be filed against Cleveland Hackworth.
The incident occurred following a day of aggressive behavior by the son that included attempted assault on his mother and his threatening to kill her.
“Family members said Mr. Hackworth had been exhibiting combative behavior for most of the day when the shooting took place,” Chief Deputy Ken Raper said at the time of the incident.
Police reports stated Blake Hackworth died Sept. 27 from the head wound he sustained after his father shot him as the junior Hackworth attempted to attack both his father and his mother, Peggy Hackworth.