Friday, October 31, 2008

Texas: Arlington man who shot intruder was defending himself, police say

Arlington, Texas

From the Forth Worth Star-Telegram of October 29, 2008
Arlington man who shot intruder was defending himself, police say

The south Arlington resident who shot and killed one of two intruders in his home late Monday night was defending himself, according to police.

The resident, who was in an upstairs bedroom when the suspects barged into the house, met one of the intruders on the stairs when a shootout ensued, said Lt. Blake Miller, an Arlington police spokesman.

The intruder was killed instantly, police said. The second suspect fled during the shooting and is still at large.

"With the information we have now, it appears that the resident was justified in defending himself and his family," Miller said.

The identity of the dead suspect is being withheld pending family notification, Miller said. Neighbors who called 911 Monday night said that they heard up to eight or nine gunshots. Police also are withholding the identity of the residents because of fear of retaliation.

No one answered the door late Tuesday morning at the two-story brick home in the 900 block of Carthage Way.

According to police, three of the home occupants were outside the residence when two men wearing masks approached them with a gun about 10 p.m. Monday.

The men then forced the occupants inside the home and at some point, struck one of the victims in the head. One of the intruders shot several rounds into the floor of the home.

After hearing the gunfire, a fourth resident, who was in an upstairs bedroom, grabbed his gun and confronted the gunman on the stairs. The two exchanged fire and the intruder was killed, police said.

This is the second shooting this year at the home just south of Harold Patterson Sports Complex.

Last summer a bondsman looking for a cousin fired shots after someone at the home tried to run him over, Miller said. It was unclear whether Monday night’s shooting involved anyone who was involved in that incident. That case has been sent to Tarrant County district attorney’s office.

Meanwhile, police continued to search late Tuesday for the dead man’s accomplice. That suspect was last seen wearing bluejeans, purple gloves and a white sweater with crowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment