Thursday, October 16, 2008

Arizona: Evidence at UA-area double-shooting consistent with self defense

Tuscon, Arizona

From the Arizona Daily Star of October 16, 2008
Tucson police: Evidence at UA-area double-shooting consistent with self defense

Evidence in a fatal shooting of two home invaders by a University of Arizona student appears to be consistent with his story that he was defending himself, police said.

At least one of the invaders was armed with a gun during the incident, which occurred shortly after 12:30 a.m., according to Sgt. Fabian Pacheco, a Tucson Police Department spokesman.

The 23-year-old student was home alone in the 800 block of East Adams Street — near North Euclid Avenue and East Speedway — when the home invasion occurred.

There was a knock at the door, at which time he armed himself with a gun because of the late hour, Pacheco said.

The man at the door asked for someone and the student told him that the person did not live there, Pacheco said.

The student looked past the man he was speaking with and saw another man who had his face covered and was armed with a gun.

He attempted to retreat into his home but the men made their way in, Pacheco said.

The student called police to report the shooting and when officers arrived at the guest house they found the two men dead inside just past the doorway.

Their names and exact ages were not released, but one was in his mid to late 20s and the other was about 25 years old, Pacheco said.

The UA student was questioned and is cooperating with police, Pacheco said. His name is not being released.

There is no indication that the student is or has been involved in any criminal activity, police said.

Pacheco could not say what the men were looking for or if they had possibly gone to the wrong house.

The case will be presented to the Pima County Attorney’s Office for a determination on whether the double homicide was justified, Pacheco said.

Ali Adelmann, a UA sophomore, just moved into the neighborhood this semester and was concerned about what happened.

“It really worries me,” the Phoenix resident said. “All we can do is keep our doors and windows locked.”

Jenny Wise also moved into the neighborhood in August. The 19-year-old sophomore said she wasn’t home at the time.

She had gone to a party and upon arriving home around 2 a.m. found her street taped off and flooded with police.

“It’s really the scariest thing,” Wise said. “I’ve lived a sheltered life. This seems like a nice little neighborhood. I don’t know what I would’ve done if two guys tried to get into my house.”

No comments:

Post a Comment