Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Spartanburg, SC Home Invaders Chased Off

Spartanburg, South Carolina

From March 31, 2009 GoUpState.com:
Deon Shippy and his girlfriend, Casey McKinney, decided to take full advantage of their day off by catching a few extra winks Monday morning.

But their peaceful slumber was shattered shortly after 10 a.m. when an armed gunman forced his way into their duplex at 4 Twin Woods Drive near Converse and opened fire.

"We were still asleep and I heard a loud bang," Shippy said. "I thought my punching bag had fallen off the porch. Casey said someone was breaking through the door, and I got up and bullets started flying past my head. One hit her in the arm. I told her to hide under the bed and I grabbed my gun and started shooting back."

Police responded to the home invasion call at 10:15 a.m. They arrived on the scene and found McKinney bleeding from a bullet wound on her left forearm. She was taken to Spartanburg Regional Hospital for treatment and was later released.

Witnesses said the gunman and an accomplice fled the scene in a black 1980s Ford Crown Victoria with dual exhaust. They described the suspects as two black males.

Authorities said Shippy and the intruder exchanged more than a dozen shots through a bedroom door before the suspect retreated. Bullet holes were visible on the exterior of the home near Shippy's bedroom window.

Shippy said he might have wounded one of the suspects during the melee, but investigators were unable to confirm that Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment