Friday, January 26, 2007

Indianapolis, Indiana

From Indianapolis’ WTHR.com of January 26, 2007
Carjacking sends suspect to hospital

A suspected carjacker and career criminal picked the wrong victim Thursday night. Instead, the carjacker found himself facing the barrel of a gun.

It happened at a gas station at 25th Street and Keystone Avenue. One witness says she thought she was back in the old west.

"Some guy tried to take my car," says motorist Isaac Wilson. He fears the guy may have wanted to take something else. "I felt he was going to try to shoot me."

Wilson just gassed up his Jaguar and pulled over to take a cell phone call when another man got out of another car and seemed to me pointing from inside his clothes something Wilson thought was a gun.

That man ordered Wilson out of his car, he says. After Wilson got out of the car the suspect got in then Wilson ordered the carjacker to get out.

Police say the carjacker came toward Wilson making like he had a gun.

"That's why I pulled my gun," says Wilson.

Wilson fired once hitting the carjacker in the knee.

"It was hard to believe, like in the cowboys," said one witness.

"I heard the shot," said another man fueling up nearby. "I was looking in that direction and I heard the guy saying 'stop.'"

Suspect Stephen Dodson is a career criminal. He is in fair condition at the hospital.

Police are also questioning Dodson's girlfriend. They want to know if she was waiting down the block to pick up the suspect's Chevy once he stole the Jag.

"It's scary you know, I had to take cover myself," said one witness.

Another told Eyewitness News "if he did try and take his car you get what you deserve because to many of us are out working and those are the kind of people who need to get a job."

"I was acting in self-defense," says Wilson. We asked if he hopes that sends a message to other bad guys. "I hope so."

Prosecutors will review the shooting as a routine. Police say Issac Wilson had the handgun legally. They did not find a gun on the suspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment