Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Trenton, South Carolina

From (Georgia's) Augusta Chronicle of July 13, 2005
(Requires free registration)
Laundromat owner nabs burglary suspects

A Trenton, S.C., politician and businessman turned crime stopper when he thwarted a burglary at his coin laundry.

Edgefield County Councilman Willie Bright said he had gone to his business on the corner of U.S. Highway 25 and Community Road early Sunday to close it. He asked two men who were standing outside the building to leave, he said.

He drove away but returned 30 to 45 minutes later and saw that a dryer door was open.

"I backed up and called 911," Mr. Bright said. "I got my shotgun in the back of my car, and I went inside."

He discovered Quinn Mabry, 24, under a bench and held him until deputies arrived, Edgefield County sheriff's Lt. Randy Doran said.

"I can't say I wasn't afraid," Mr. Bright said, "because I didn't know if he had a gun or not."

However, he said, he was determined to protect his property. He said no weapons were found at the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment