Saturday, August 4, 2007

Lee County, Florida

From Ft. Myer’s NBC-2.com of August 3, 2007
Woman wakes up with intruder near her bed

Deputies are looking for a man who broke into a woman's home and was allegedly going through her drawers when she woke up.

It happened early Thursday morning at a home in the Myerlee neighborhood.

The woman, Nancy Hauber, woke up around 5:15 a.m. after hearing a noise in her room. She thought it was her cat, but then she opened her eyes and saw a strange man standing about five feet from her bed.

She grabbed a gun, ran from the room and called 911.

Here are some excerpts from the call:

Operator: 911, what is your emergency?

Hauber: Someone was just in my house.

Operator: Is he still there?

Hauber: No, I don't know ma'am. I'm outside near the pool.

Operator: What is your address?

Hauber: I've got a gun in my hand right now.

Operator: Okay, ma'am, calm down. Did you get a description of him?

Hauber: No, it's dark and he had a flashlight.

When deputies arrived, the man was gone, but they say they found his flashlight and some jewelry boxes on the ground.
Hauber's close call is now the talk of the quiet neighborhood.

"I think I probably would have been scared. I know I probably wouldn't have moved," said Sylvia Scott, who lives near Hauber.

Another neighbor, Bev Gaudelli, added, "I always put my alarm system on at night, but now I'm putting it on in the day as well."

Deputies say the suspect is about 5'9" with a medium build and dark shoulder length hair. He was wearing a blue, button down work shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment