Thursday, September 8, 2005

Vancouver, Washington

From Portland’s (OR) KOIN.com of September 7, 2005
Ice Cream Man Pulls Gun On Would Be Robber

An ice cream man used a gun to scare off a potential robber in Vancouver and police say he did the right thing.

He's a salesman who packs heat along with his ice cream.

"This is the third year I've been in business," Chris Sanders said.

Along with his ice cream, before heading out, Sanders also grabs his gun.

"It's a Keltek 380," Sanders said.

It may seem odd for an ice cream man to be armed, but Sanders says the gun came in handy last Saturday.

"Right up here at the top of this bridge is where the guy flagged me down," Sanders said.

He pulled over, but instead of ice cream the man wanted a ride. Sanders said no.

"As he was walking away he turned and ran towards my vehicle trying to go in through the sliding door which was locked. At that point I grabbed for my 380, chambered around. Then he'd already come in the window. I pointed it at him and he said, 'Oh s***,' and he takes off running," Sanders told KOIN News 6

Police arrested 20-year-old Brandon Kearney and charged him with robbery. They say he had a knife on him.

Investigators say Sanders, who has a valid concealed weapons permit, acted appropriately.

"You have an individual, who can at some points I'm sure carry large sums of money, who might feel he's vulnerable in some of the areas," Officer Ron Stevens said.

"I felt a threat. It was pretty much instinctive. I needed to protect myself," Sanders said.

Sanders knows his vehicle attracts children, that's why he says he keeps the gun out of sight and reach of any of his customers or in this case, crooks.

"I guarantee that's not what he was expecting. That just goes to show you don't mess with the ice cream man," Sanders said.

No comments:

Post a Comment